Tuesday 8 November 2016

Trophy


Last night we attended a screening of the documentary film 'Trophy" as part of VIFF (Vancouver International Film Festival).


As an avid wildlife photographer, I have waited many years to see grizzly bears in the wild. In fact until this summer I had never seen one (in real life). I saved up for many years and my amazing wife organised the remainder of the funds as part of my 40th birthday present.

So I booked my flight and room up at Knight Inlet Lodge, in Glendale Cove. I spent 3 days watching these amazing creatures in their natural habitat, going about their daily life. There were single males, mothers with one, two and three cubs. It was a spectacular sight. At one point there were 20 bears in view, all focused on fishing the pink salmon that was coming up the river. They would dive, thrash, claw and bite at the salmon swimming upstream to their spawning grounds.





The guides educated us in what to look for with regards social behaviours, new males arriving in the area - and their fishing behaviours.

On the second day, we were sat in a viewing platform about 6-700 metres away from a river. It was a slower day with regards the amount of 'bear action', but we still managed to see some in their environment. It was then that the guide stated that that is how many 'trophy' hunters kill a bear, by sitting a long way away, waiting and then shooting. I was dumbfounded.

I feel I can do more. I am a self pronounced animal advocate, but when reflecting on what that means, I felt I could do more rather than 'say' that I believed animals have the right to rights. My assignment for our first HEAL course is regarding the banning of the trophy hunt. I was excited to see the film, yet a little apprehensive as I didn't want to see a film with lots of bloodshed. I was wondering which approach the filmmaker would take - a shock and awe approach, or a softer approach.


The film was sold out at the VIFF Vancity Theatre, we arrived, got some popcorn and drinks and started mingling. I have been making some contacts in the 'bear conservation' world and it was exciting to be in a place where everybody shared the same values.


The evening was m/c ed by Trisha Stevens, from Lush who sponsored the making of the film, and have spent millions of dollars creating a brand that does not test on animals, and respects the rights of animals and our wider environment.

Musqueam activist Audrey Siegl opened the event, talking extensively about the First Nations beliefs and historical connection to the land. She spoke passionately about the need to Ban the Hunt, concluding her speech with a song from her band.

After the 35 min film there was a discussion with experts and activists:

Rosie Child, Spirit Bear Research Foundation
Brian Falconer, Raincoast Conservation Foundation
Tommy Knowles, Wildlife Defence League
Inder Nirwan, film maker, Lush Cosmetics

I did find it interesting that there was an NDP politician present (George Hamond), who was acknowledged and posed many questions and challenges, i.e. somebody from either political party has to step up and end this barbaric practice. 91% of British Columbians oppose the hunt, yet politicians are not listening to the people that elect them.

Afterwards there was more mingling time, where I got to meet a couple of activists, exchange info and then receive our free gift from Lush.




I urge people to Download and share Trophy for free at:

http://www.trophyfilm.com/

and then sign the petition to lobby the current Liberal Government.

http://www.trophyfilm.com/take-action/



*all photos by Craig Wardle - unless otherwise stated.

No comments:

Post a Comment